Renovating a Grade 1 Listed Property

Only 2.5 per cent of properties in England are listed as grade 1 buildings of “exceptional” interest. As such they must be kept in their original condition and protected from damage and inappropriate alterations that could detract from their historical and architectural significance.
Renovating a Grade 1 Listed Property

Image Credit

According to Historic England specific renovation rules, regulations and processes apply, as follows:

Verifying Property Status

Before renovation, the property’s grade status will need to be verified via local listings held at the county council’s planning department or local reference library. Alternatively, English Heritage can be contacted to identify the building/structure in question, and confirm its special features and grade classification.

Obtaining Advice

English Heritage and firms like Gloucesters most trusted Automatic gate provider suggest that most renovation work that alters the building’s internal and/or external appearance, including some minor repairs such as re-painting a fireplace, replacing a window or adding automatic gates in Gloucestershire (subject to the rules of the Party Wall Act 1996), often require listed building consent and council planning guidance, according to the Planning Act 1990. In some circumstances funding grants are available from English Heritage, the council or the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission (HMBC).

Advice should initially be sort from the council’s conservation officer. It is especially important to determine if the building is in a designated conservation area, as this can impose additional restrictions beyond the usual planning laws, making obtaining planning permission a necessity. Trees are often under protection in conservation areas, so if any work near them is proposed the council will need to be informed and approval obtained six weeks before work begins.

Applying for Listed Building Consent

A pre-application consultation should ideally be sought between the council, a statutory body like English Heritage and a statutory consultant such as the Georgian Society, the Victorian society or the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) before application forms are submitted through the local planning authority/governmental planning portal. It often takes 8-12 weeks to receive the outcome, and there is usually a six month period in which to appeal the council’s decision if consent is refused.

Carrying out renovation work without listed building consent is a criminal offence and penalties can range from 12 months in prison to a fine, with reversal of unauthorised work often insisted upon at the owner’s expense.

Forex Trading Previous post Forex Trading: The hedging strategy
Next post Internal customers, its importance and ways to satisfy

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.